28 September 2011

“Anything simple always interests me”



Funny thing you notice about having children is how simple life is. I was at the park with son the other day and started playing with some kids he didn't know. I watched him stroll up to the group of kids, size them up then sit down and begin playing. When we left he proudly told me he’d been playing with his friends. I bet if Ben had a Facebook page he’d have no problem making friends if the performance in the park was anything to go by.

So how come marketeers find it so hard to keep things simple? 

I’m convinced most of the time it’s because they don’t understand social media – after all the majority of marketeers in senior positions haven't grown up with social media – and I include myself in that. The rest of the time it’s because they accept bad advice – when in fact the best thing they could be do is rolling up their sleeves and getting stuck in. rather than trying to learn social media from a text book.

Bring on the world awash with Whopper Sacrifice’s and Skittles update-the-rainbows because we don't want to see geniuses like Hugh Laurie deflowered in advertising monologues that don't seek to engage the consumer.

So when ENO posed the question: ever thought how odd your online life is? It connected. I watched their charming video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDycZH0CA4I and I reflected on how social media has made the world a more complicated place and wished I could have gone and watched their opera.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)


No comments:

Post a Comment